Journal of Basic and Clinical Reproductive Sciences

Journal of Basic and Clinical Reproductive Sciences
All submissions of the EM system will be redirected to Online Manuscript Submission System. Authors are requested to submit articles directly to Online Manuscript Submission System of respective journal.

Evaluation of Ovarian Lesions Inducing Endometrial Hyperplasia or Carcinoma in a Tertiary Care Hospital in Southern India

Author(s): Shalinee Rao, Shivani Rao, Sharda Lall, Raghavan Narasimhan

Background: Excessive and prolonged estrogenic stimulation results in endometrial hyperplasias or endometrioid adenocarcinomas. One of the major reasons for an excess endogenous estrogen production is estrogen secreting ovarian lesions which could either be neoplastic or non‑neoplastic. Aims: This was a study done to evaluate and correlate presence of ovarian lesions in uterus harboring endometrial hyperplasia or endometrial carcinoma. Materials and Methods: This was a retrospective study conducted at a referral hospital in South India over a 16‑year period. Histology of ovaries were studied in panhysterectomy cases with a tissue diagnosis of endometrial hyperplasia or endometrial carcinoma. The data was evaluated as only percentage. Results: A total of 118 specimens revealed pathological proliferative lesion of the endometrium with endometrial hyperplasias occurring in 78 (66.1%) and endometrioid adenocarcinoma in the remaining 40 (33.9%) cases. Fifty‑two cases showed lesions in ovary/ovaries. Forty‑two (35.6%) of them revealed estrogen‑secreting lesions in ovaries. The rest showed non‑estrogen producing lesions. Follicular cyst was the predominant estrogen elaborating lesions in the ovary with 23 cases (44.2%). In 21.1% of cases, ovaries featured stromal hyperplasia and 7.7% showed granulosa cell tumor. Only one (1.9%) case of thecoma was identified. Two cases showed twin lesions with follicular cyst and stromal hyperplasia. All patients except for one were in post‑menopausal age group. Conclusion: Follicular cyst was the predominant lesion associated with endometrial hyperplasia and endometrioid adenocarcinoma of endometrium in post‑menopausal age group. In addition, hyperplastic lesions in endometrium can occur in non‑hormonal secreting ovarian epithelial tumors possibly due to functioning stromal cells.

Select your language of interest to view the total content in your interested language

20+ Million Readerbase
Google Scholar citation report
Citations : 917

Journal of Basic and Clinical Reproductive Sciences received 917 citations as per google scholar report

Journal of Basic and Clinical Reproductive Sciences peer review process verified at publons
Indexed In
  • Google Scholar
  • Publons
  • Euro Pub
Submit your Manuscript

  • Flexible online submission
  • Preliminary quality report within 3 days
  • 21 days rapid peer-review
  • High visibility of published content
  • Associated with relevant global conferences
  • 24/7 Editorial office availability